Wagner-Smith Equipment’s founders started doing business in 1917 as The Charles M. Kelso Company. Over the years, we’ve changed names and expanded the services we provide. But what hasn’t changed is our focus on customer satisfaction.
Today, we design, build, sell, rent and service overhead and underground line-stringing equipment and tools for the electrical line industry across the nation.
1917: The Charles M. Kelso Company is incorporated in Ohio.
1919: Milton H. Wagner left his position as transmission engineer for the Dayton Power and Light Company and joined Kelso, expanding services into the power line industry.
1920: John E. Smith joined the company, expanding electrical contracting services into the commercial, industrial and institutional markets.
1928: The company's name was changed to The Kelso-Wagner Company.
1946: Following Kelso's death, the company changed its name to The Wagner-Smith Company.
1965: The business expanded into 345-kV steel tower transmission line projects, constructing more than 500 miles of line over the next several years.
1970s: The company discontinued its services in the utility power line construction industry.
2000: Wagner-Smith Equipment Co. was sold to an MDU Resources Group Inc. company. The sale opened new avenues for the business to continue growth and expansion in the U.S. and international markets.
2001: High Line Equipment of Portland, Oregon, merged into Wagner-Smith Equipment.
2014: Wagner-Smith Equipment acquired the assets of Henderson Utility Equipment Company in Phoenix, Arizona, expanding its geographic service territory.
2015: Wagner-Smith Equipment built a new facility in Burleson, Texas, increasing the amount of space available for inventory, manufacturing and maintenance.